Starting in Fall 2020, all students are required to provide their own laptop (either purchased or checked out through the Library or their department). Some software is available to install on personal computers. However, all required software will be available through VDI Computer Labs.
Please note: Access to physical College of Human Sciences computer labs will not be available in the Fall 2020 semester.
- Additional information can be found on the ITS Computer Requirements Page.
- Technology can be purchased through TechCyte via their Major Success page.
|MINIMUM SPEC FOR ALL MAJORS||RECOMMENDED|
|Typical Use||Web research, Microsoft Office-type applications, connecting to a remote computer/VDI. This is the minimum recommendation for all students in CHS.||Web research, Microsoft Office-type applications, connecting to a remote computer/VDI, video creation/editing, specialized software, Creative Cloud applications, etc.|
|Processor||Intel Core i5||Intel Core i7|
|Memory||8 GB||16 GB|
|Storage||256 GB||512 GB|
|Resolution||1366×768||1920×1080 (Full HD)|
* AESHM (Apparel, Merchandising and Design, Event Management, Hospitality Management): It is strongly recommended that students purchase a computer with a dedicated graphics card to work with 3D modeling software. Additionally, the Lectra suite taught in AMD courses is only compatible with Windows and not Mac.
Iowa State University has developed a Laptop Loaner Program to support students who may not have access to required laptop technology. Loaner laptops will be provided to current Iowa State University students through the University Library while inventory lasts. Students with the greatest financial need and those who have exhausted other options for financial aid will receive priority. Requests for participation in the Laptop Loaner Program will be accepted now through 11:59 p.m. CST on Friday, July 31.
Please have the following information available to complete the Laptop Loaner Program request form:
- University ID – nine-digit identification number provided to you upon acceptance to Iowa State University
- College – Example: Human Sciences
- System preference – Mac or PC
If you are unable to locate your University ID, contact the IT Solution Center at 515-294-4000.
Questions about the Laptop Loaner Program can be directed to the College of Human Sciences Student Services Office. Email email@example.com.