ISU reinstatement procedure
The College of Human Sciences enforces the Iowa State University academic probation policy, which includes the policies regarding extenuating circumstances, withdrawing from the university, adding and dropping classes, and academic probation and dismissal.
CHS reinstatement preparation
Refer to these reinstatement guidelines (PDF) for recommendations on the steps to take to show that you have made progress since being academically dismissed.
All materials must be received on or before the date below. No late applications will be considered.
|Spring 2018||November 30, 2017|
|Summer 2018||March 30, 2018|
|Fall 2018||July 5, 2018|
|Spring 2019||November 30, 2018|
CHS reinstatement procedure
If you were academically dismissed from Iowa State University, there are procedures that you must follow to resume your studies at Iowa State. The College of Human Sciences requires that you do the following:
- Complete the Academic Reinstatement Packet (PDF). This must be completed by deadline indicated.
- Complete the Educational Career Goals form. Included in the Reinstatement Packet.
- Meet with an academic adviser in your intended major. Discuss and develop the long range plan sheet located in the petition packet. The plan must be signed by your adviser. As you plan for your return, note that the first term you return, you will be limited to taking 12 credits during the spring/fall or 6 credits during the summer.
- Submit your current grade report from courses in which you are currently enrolled .
- If you have not been taking classes at another college/university, and have been granted an exemption from the CHS Academic Standards Committee*, please include at least one letter of recommendation (on business letterhead) from your current employer. The letter should address your responsibilities/job duties and discuss your work ethic and character.
*In order to be granted an exemption, you must complete the Exemption From Coursework form within 10 business days after being academically dismissed.
- If your dismissal and academic progress were related to personal health/mental health issues, please provide a letter from a care provider/physician that provides a recommendation to support your return to Iowa State.
- Submit a copy of your ISU transcript.
- If you have been gone from ISU for longer than two academic terms (not including summer), submit a re-entry application.
- Attach any additional materials or letters of reference from faculty or employers that would support your petition, if desired. Letters must be signed and written on business letterhead.
- Completed application packets should be returned to:
College of Human Sciences Academic Standards Committee
131 MacKay Hall
2302 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA 50011-1078
If you do not follow all of these steps, the Academic Standards Committee will consider your application incomplete and will not consider your petition for reinstatement.