Academic advising is an intentional, collaborative relationship that is grounded in teaching and learning in order to promote a student’s growth and development. Together we seek learning opportunities that will diversify the student’s Iowa State University experience and prepare the student for a life and career in a dynamic, global community.
Learning outcomes for academic advising
As a result of advising experiences, students in the College of Human Sciences will:
- Assess career opportunities and select an academic program that is suitable to their interests, values, and abilities.
- Follow the requirements of their academic program, develop an academic plan to enhance their background and preparation, and understand the connection between courses and career goals.
- Understand and follow university, college, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Utilize tools and resources that assist in registration and career planning, including degree audits, schedule of classes, and university catalog.
- Identify available campus resources for meeting academic and career goals and navigating personal situations or events.
- Participate in activities and opportunities that promote diversity of thought and experience, enhance professional growth, and expand human potential.
- Generate appropriate questions and apply academic advice.
- Seek out information from appropriate resources and make informed decisions
- Clarify personal values and goals
- Ask questions and be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience
- Learn university, college, and department programs, policies, and procedures
- Consult and collaborate with academic adviser
- Accept responsibility for decisions
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students
- Assist students in defining and developing realistic academic and career goals
- Communicate university, college, and department policies and procedures
- Assist students with academic planning and course selection based on their abilities and interests.
- Support students’ academic progress and degree completion
- Refer students to available university resources based on identified needs
- Maintain a commitment to professional development related to advising and student success