You can apply for all of the scholarships described below through the unified CHS International Scholarship application.
For Summer and Fall international program participants
The scholarship application is open starting January 3, and your application and all supporting documents must be submitted no later than March 1 at 11:59 p.m. This is a strict deadline, and late applications will not be accepted. Scholarship recipients will be notified in April.
For Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring, and Spring Break international program participants
The scholarship application is open starting September 1, and your application and all supporting documents must be submitted no later than November 1 at 11:59 p.m. This is a strict deadline, and late applications will not be accepted. Scholarship recipients will be notified in December.
College of Human Sciences International Experiences Scholarship
Full-time students in any CHS major who are participating in any ISU study abroad program are eligible for this $1000 scholarship. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, and preference is given to students pursuing their first study abroad experience. This scholarship does not apply to international internships or to non-credit experiences abroad. Students participating in International Student Teaching and the Community Dietetics Rotation in Ghana are eligible.
International Experiences Scholarship recipients
In addition to submitting the required online reflection and photographs through International Connections, you must choose one culminating activity from the list below:
- Volunteer for a minimum of two hours at one CHS Study Abroad Fair (September) or at one ISU Study Abroad Fair (September or January) in support of the CHS International Programs Office;
- Present about your study abroad experience in an information session recruiting for the next offering of your program;
- Present about your study abroad experience in a pre-departure orientation session for the next offering of your program; or
- Accompany a CHS International Programs Office staff member on a classroom visit (usually first-year orientation classes or transfer orientation classes) to present about your study abroad experience.
If you are graduating after your study abroad experience, and you would be unable to return to campus for these volunteer or presentation opportunities, you should email us to discuss an alternative culminating activity prior to submitting your scholarship application.
College of Human Sciences tuition award
This scholarship supports participation in selected study abroad and exchange programs:
- AESHM South Africa Summer Study Abroad Program
- Cathedrals, Castles, Culture and Cuisine-Sustainable, Safe, & Nutritious Food in France
- Chile: Human Services and Education Tour
- Community Dietetics Internship Rotation in Rural Ghana
- Food, Nutrition and Health: Experiential Learning in India
- Food Production and Processing in China
- For the Love of Food and Italy
- International Student Teaching
- Multidisciplinary Experiential Study of International Nutrition
- Spanish Cuisine: From the Old World to the New Cuisine
- Any ISU exchange program
CHS Ester Catherine Harmon Student Teaching/Study Abroad Scholarship
This scholarship provides support for student teachers in order to expand recipients’ appreciation for other languages and cultures and to enable recipients to extend appreciation of other languages and cultures to their future students.
Applicants must be ISU undergraduates accepted into the ISU Teacher Education Program. Based on available funding, one recipient of this scholarship will be chosen each semester who is student teaching in English at a university-approved international site with elementary school-age children. The first priority is given to student teachers in the lower grade levels regardless of subject matter to be taught.
College of Human Sciences transfer impact scholarship
This scholarship supports community college transfer student participation in study abroad programs sponsored by the College of Human Sciences. Full-time undergraduate students in any CHS major are eligible for this $500 scholarship. In addition, LAS and CALS students participating in International Student Teaching are also eligible. This scholarship does not apply to international internships or to non-credit experiences abroad.
Applicants must provide an unofficial transcript that demonstrates they have transferred to ISU a minimum of 30 credits from a community college.
All CHS international scholarship recipients
Within 30 days of returning from your study abroad program, you will be required to submit an online reflection about your experience through International Connections and a minimum of 10 photographs for the use of the CHS International Programs Office.