The Department of Human Development and Family Studies is hosting a campus visit for prospective students who are exploring the Family and Consumer Sciences Education and Studies and/or Financial Counseling and Planning major(s).
When you register for the Major Exploration Day, you are also registering for the Iowa State University Experience Iowa State (EIS) event, which is part of your visit. You will receive confirmation information from both offices organizing the visit: 1) Human Development and Family Studies and 2) Iowa State Admissions.
Cost: There is no cost to attend Major Exploration Day.
Parking: Parking will be available in the Memorial Union parking ramp on Lincoln Way.
Space is limited, so register now! Online registration will be available until capacity has been reached. If you have questions about registering or being placed on a waiting list, please contact email@example.com.
Major Exploration Day - Oct. 4, 2019
8:15 a.m. Please check-in with the Admissions Staff to start your day at Iowa State University.
8:15 - 9:40 a.m. Programs and Services Fair (EIS)
10 a.m. - noon Break-out session based on your major of interest:
- Students exploring Family and Consumer Sciences Education and Studies (FCEDS) will meet current FCEDS students and learn how program opportunities connect with your interests. You will also get to tour lab spaces used in FCEDS classes.
- Students exploring Financial Counseling and Planning (FCP) will meet with an academic adviser to review coursework, learn about student opportunities, and tour the FCP lab.
12:10 - 1 p.m. Lunch at University Dining Center
1:10 - 2 p.m. Break-out session based on your major of interest:
- FCEDS academic information session. Meet with program advisers, review coursework, and learn about student opportunities.
- Attend a Financial Counseling and Planning class, HD FS 239: Consumer Issues. Introduction to factors affecting consumer decisions of individuals and families, including housing, healthcare, and personal finances. Emphasis on accessibility and affordability, community contexts for families, as well as consumer protection, legislation and regulation, and consumer fraud.
2:10 p.m. Select an optional session:
- Attend a mock class: Introduction to Family and Consumer Sciences
- Campus walking tour
- Experience Iowa State (EIS) afternoon session of your choice. EIS schedule with options and locations will be emailed to you the week of your visit. Session topics typically include: teacher education information session, financial aid meetings, residence hall open house, self-guided recreation service tours, honors information session, opportunities in ISU Theatre, sororities and fraternities at Iowa State, Student Accessibility Services.
3:10 p.m. Select an optional EIS afternoon session of your choice. Session topics offered typically include: admissions counselor meetings, self-guided recreation services tours, study abroad 101, music ensemble session for non-music majors.