"Sustainability is meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." Definition from the 1987 Bruntland Commission (a United Nations world commission focused on environment and development)
Campus-wide recycling programs
Please visit the Iowa State recycling webpage to learn more about our mission and recycling projects.
- Corrugated cardboard recycling
- Newspaper recycling (building map)
- Phone book recycling
- White paper recycling (collection schedule)
- Battery/cell phone recycling
- Buy recycled
- Chemical/brown bottles
- Chemical redistribution program
- Compost site
- Excess equipment (ISU Surplus)
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Free wood program
- Oil filters, used oil, tires, batteries
- Power plant ash
- Residence halls and food service
- Scrap metal
- Toner and ink jet cartridges
- Turn off lights
- Install programmable thermostats to automatically control temperatures
- Save paper by putting class syllabus, and other handouts on Web CT
- Turn off monitors, CPU, printers, scanners, etc. at night.
- If you will be away from your desk for a few hours put your computer into sleep mode.
We provide several resources for our faculty, staff, and students who wish to help our mission.