Each year Iowa State University and the College of Human Sciences recognize outstanding faculty and staff achievements by conferring honors and awards. These tributes celebrate faculty and staff members’ exceptional accomplishments that advance and support Iowa State’s land-grant mission of teaching, research, and outreach.
We encourage individuals, programs, and departments to nominate standout faculty and staff members for awards. Most nominations will be routed through an academic department, school, or Extension; nominators should consult with their units about internal deadlines.
Why honors and awards are important
Pursuing honors and awards, and the receipt of these recognitions, offer important benefits for faculty and staff as well as their departments, colleges, and the institution.
Advantages for the candidate:
- Promotes recognition of the impact of your work
- Advances your career
- Earns additional financial compensation, if applicable
- Cultivates an honors and awards pipeline that positions you to be more competitive in your pursuit of other recognitions within your profession and at the national level
- Leads to increased collaborations and networking opportunities (especially for professional society or organization honors and awards)
- Increases likelihood of funding success by strengthening your external profile
Advantages for departments, colleges, and the institution:
- Brings recognition to departments, colleges, and the university
- Promotes a pipeline of honors and awards, so the candidate is better-positioned to receive recognition from other national and professional organizations, ultimately helping advance institutional rankings
- Aids recruitment and retention by demonstrating investment and resources in faculty and staff success
- Builds pipeline of future nominators and advocates for other nominees