Faculty and Staff Directory » Young-A LeeView Directory | Update Profile | FAQ
Title: Associate Professor
Department: Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management
Office: 1068 Lebaron 626 Morrill Rd, Ames, IA 50011
Phone number: +1 515 294 7826
- Application of emerging technologies to design and product development (e.g., 3D body scanning technology, 3D Printing)
- Consumer perception toward the use of innovative technology
- Sustainable product design and development & social responsibility
- Functional and protective clothing: Product design and development and user testing
- Virtual simulation: Product design, development, and testing in virtual worlds
- Individual's self presentation and virtual identity formation in virtual worlds
- Functional, expressive, and aesthetic needs of clothing for various subject groups (e.g., aging, obese, disabled, athletic)
- DeVaney, S., Delgadillo, L., Lee, Y. A., & Spangler, A. (2017). From submission to acceptance: Publishing in a research journal. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 46 (1), 24-30. [doi:10.1111/fcsr.12224]
- Michel, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2017). Cloth(ing) for the dead: Case study of three designers’ green burial practices. Fashion and Textiles: International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, 4 (4), 1-18. [doi: 10.1186/s40691-017-0088-y]
- Nam, C., Dong, H., & Lee. Y. A. (2017). Factors influencing consumers’ purchase intention of green sportswear. Fashion and Textiles: International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, 4(2), 1-17. [doi: 10.1186/s40691-017-0091-3]
- Romeo, L. & Lee, Y. A. (2016). Apparel needs and expectations model. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 9 (3), 201-209. [doi: 10.1080/17543266.2016.1154112]
- Lee, Y. A. (2016). Tactics for seeking and obtaining funding in academia. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 45 (1), 12-16. [doi: 10.1111/fcsr.12177]
- Lee, Y. A. (2015). Insight for building a successful academic journey. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 44 (1), 3-11. [doi: 10.1111/fcsr.12116]
- Romeo, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2015). Exploring apparel purchase issues with plus-size female teens. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 19 (2), 120-135.
- Hwang, C. G., Lee, Y. A., & Diddi, S. (2015). Generation Y’s moral obligation and purchase intentions for organic, fair trade, and recycled apparel products. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 8 (2), 97-107. [doi: 10.1080/17543266.2014.996917]
- Lee, Y. A. (2014). Insight for writing a qualitative research paper. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 43(1), 94-97. [doi: 10.1111/fcsr.12084]
- Romeo, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2014). Exploring current ready-to-wear apparel attributes for plus-size female teens. Family & Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 43 (2), 145-159.
- Lee, Y. A. (2014). Computer design and digital fit of clothing. In Gupta D. and Zakaria N. (Eds.), Anthropometry, Apparel Sizing and Design, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
- Romeo, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2013). Creative and technical design skills: Are college apparel curriculums meeting industry needs? International Jounral of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 6 (3), 132-140.
- Boorady, L., Barker, J., Lin, S-H., Lee, Y. A., Cho, E., & Ashdown, S. P. (2013). Exploration of firefighter bunder gear part 2: Assessing the needs of the female firefighter. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management (JTATM), 8 (2), [View the PDF].
- Boorady, L., Barker, J., Lee, Y. A., Lin, S-H., Cho, E., & Ashdown, S. P. (2013). Exploration of firefighter turnout gear part 1: Identifying male firefighter user needs. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management (JTATM), 8 (1), [View the PDF].
- Barker, J., Boorady, L., Lin, S-H., Lee, Y. A., Esponnette, B., & Ashdown, S. P. (2012). Assessing user needs and perceptions of firefighter PPE. Performance of Protective Clothing and Equipment: Emerging Issues and Technologies, STP1544, 1-18. [Available online at www.astm.org, doi: 10.1520/STP104099, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA 2012]
- Lee, Y. A., Damhorst, M. L., Lee, M. S., Kozar, J., & Martin, P. (2012). Older women's clothing fit concerns and their attitudes toward the use of 3D body scanning. Clothing and Textiles Reserach Journal, 30 (2), 102-118.
- Lee, Y. A., & Park, S. M. (2011). Comparative analysis between 3D visual pant fit and wearers' subjective acceptability, the Proceedings of the International Conference on 3D Body Scanning Technologies, 2.[Full paper]
- Zong, Y., & Lee, Y. A. (2011). An exploratory study of integrative approach between 3D body scanning technology and motion capture system in the apparel industry. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 4 (2), 91-101.
- Park, S. M., Choi, K. M., Nam, Y. J., & Lee, Y. A. (2011). Multi-purpose three-dimensional body form. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 23 (1), 8-24.
- Lee, Y. A. (2011). Clothing as an environment for older adults' successful aging. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 35 (6), 702-710.Â
- Lee, Y. A., & Sontag, M. S. (2010). An assessment of the proximity of clothing to self scale for older persons. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 34 (4), 443-448.
- Lee, Y. A., Ashdown, S., & Slocum, A. (2006). Measurement of surface area of 3-D body scans to assess the effectiveness of hats for sun protection. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 34 (4), 366-385.
- Ashdown, S., Slocum, A., & Lee, Y. A. (2005). The third dimension for apparel designers: Visual assessment of hat designs for sun protection using 3-D body scanning, Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 23 (3), 151-164.
- Lee, Y. A., Sontag, M. S., & Slocum, A. C. (2002). Michigan apparel and textile manufacturing industry: Characterization and needs assessment. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 2 (3), [View the PDF].
Selected Refereed Proceedings and Presentations, & Design Expo and Exhibits
- Lee, Y.A. (2015). 3D virtual images as an motivational tool of individual’s healthy living, The Korea Health Communication Association’s 2015 Fall Conference: Public Health Issues and Health Communication at Seoul National University in Seoul, South Korea, December 4, 2015.
- Su, Y., Margrett, J., Christensen, R., Crawford, D., Francis, S. L., Lee, Y. A., Franke, W. (2015). Connecting college students’ aging attitudes, expectations, and experiences, the Gerontological Society of America’s 68th Annual Scientific Meeting: Aging as a Lifelong Process in Orlando, FL, November 18-22, 2015.
- Lee, Y. A., & Ghalachyan, A. (November 11, 2015). RETHINK: Wearing Kombucha. Conference of ITAA in Santa Fe, NM, November 9-13, 2015.
- Son, J-H., & Lee, Y. A. (2015). Effects of fast fashion brands’ sustainability practices on brand equity formation, Conference of ITAA in Santa Fe, NM, November 9-13, 2015. [Mounted design exhibit]
- Ulasewicz, C., Dickson, M., Lee, Y. A., Meyer, S., Pasricha A., & Hethorn, J. (2015). Embedding socially responsible practices within and across the curriculum: Where we have been and what’s next, Conference of ITAA in Santa Fe, NM, November 9-13, 2015.
- Michel, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2015). Final (Fiber) resting place: The Avant-Garde in the green burial movement, Conference of ITAA in Santa Fe, NM, November 9-13, 2015.
- Michel, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2015). Cloth(ing) for the Dead: Sustainable burial practices using recycled apparel, The 5th International Fiber Recycling Symposium in San Francisco, CA, June 8-10, 2015.
- Murphy, C., Plummer, B., & Lee, Y. A. (2015). Upcycling consignment clothing for sustainably aware consumers, The 5th International Fiber Recycling Symposium in San Francisco, CA, June 8-10, 2015.
- Lee, Y. A., et al. (2014). Renewable green tea vest. Conference of ITAA in Charlotte, NC, November 12-16, 2014. [Mounted design exhibit]
- Lee, Y. A., et al. (2014). Grow it! Wear it! Keep the earth happy! The 10th Annual P3 Competition and National Sustainable Design Expo at the USA Science and Engineering Festival in Washington D.C., April 25-27, 2014.
- Romeo, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2013). A meta-analysis of apparel-related reserach for plus-size teems, Conference of International Textile and Apparel Association in New Orleans, LA, October 15-18, 2013.
- Diddi, S., & Lee, Y. A. (2013). Exploratory analysis of sustainbility involvements among the apparel companies affiliated with Sustinable Apparel Coalition, Conference of International Textile and Apparel Association in New Orleans, LA, October 15-18, 2013.
- Diddi, S., & Lee, Y. A. (2013). Pedagogical strategies of sustainable fashion practices: Triple bottom line approach, Fashion and Social Responsibility Symposium in St. Paul, MN, April 19-20, 2013.
- Hwang, C., & Lee, Y. A. (2013). New life for upcycling jeans, Fashion and Social Responsibility Symposium in St. Paul, MN, April 19-20, 2013.
- Zhang, L., & Lee, Y. A. (2013). Wearable onion skins, Fashion and Social Responsibility Symposium in St. Paul, MN, April 19-20, 2013.
- Lee, Y. A. (2012). 3D body scanned images as a motivational tool for an individual’s exercise and diet, the 3rd International Conference on 3D Body Scanning Technologies in Lugano, Switzerland, October 16-17, 2012.
- Lee, Y. A. (2011). Sustaining healthy life: 3D body scanning technology as a health-risk prevention tool, the Gerontological Society of America's 64th Annual Scientific Meeting in Boston, MA, November 18-22, 2011.
- Lee, Y. A., & Bae, S-B. (2011). If you could be in charge: Student ideas for promoting sustainability in fashion product development process, Conference of International Textile and Apparel Association in Philadelphia, PN, November 3-6, 2011.
- Lee, Y. A. (2009). Healthy aging: Older women's clothing needs and their attitude toward 3D body scanning technology, the Gerontological Society of America's 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting in Atlanta, GA, November 18-22, 2009.
- Lee, Y. A. (2008). Virtual self: 3D avatar as self expression in second life, Conference of ITAA in Schaumburg, IL, November 5-8, 2008.
- Lee, Y. A., Cao, W., & Guo, P. (2008).Â Healthy aging: Relationships between demographic variables and clothing consumption in China, the Chinese Economists Society (CES) 2008 Annual Conference in Tianjin, China, April 18-19, 2008.
- Lee, Y. A. (2007). A conceptual model for studying the impact of clothing, self-actualization, and psychographic variables on successful aging, the Gerontologist: 60th annual scientific meeting: The era of global aging: Challenges & opportunities, 47 (1), 710-711.
- Lee, Y. A. (2002). Consumers' social responsibility: Companies' product advertising through their web sites. Paper presented at Fourth Beatrice Paolucci Symposium: Personal, Social & Corporate Responsibility in a Common World, Michigan State University, East Lansing.
AAFCS, AATCC, Educators for Socially Responsible Apparel Practices (ESRAP), Gerontological Society of America, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, International Textile and Apparel Association, Kappa Omicron Nu National Honor Society, Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, NC-170 Multi-state research group, Surface Design Association
[Also the graduate faculty member of Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and Gerontology programs at ISU]
Selected Honors and Awards
2016-2017 Cohort of ISU's Emerging Leaders Academy; ITAA Mid-Career Research Excellence Award (2016); 2016 Outstanding Reviewer Award for the Clothing and Textiles Research Journal (CTRJ); ESRAP Award for Sustainable Design (2016); 2016 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence (Outstanding Paper); EPA P3 Phase II (2014-2016); ITAA Paper of Distinction Award (2015-Design/Product Development Track); Invited keynote speaker at the TBIS-APCC 2014 Joint International Symposium; 2014 EPA P3 Award Winner; EPA P3 Award: Phase I (2013-2014); US Department of Justice Phase I Body Armor Challenge Award (2013); CHS Early Achievement in Research Award (2012); Iowa State Wakonse Fellow (2012); ITAA Fairchild Publications Textile and Apparel Faculty Grant (2009); Big 12 Faculty Fellowship (2009); ITAA Best Paper Award (2010-Design/Product Development Track, 2006-Social/Psych Track); ITAA Sara Douglas Professional Promise Fellowship (2005); Recognition as being an excellent professor from the women of Delta Delta Delta at ISU Omega Delta Chapter (2010)
- AMD 321 Computer Integrated Textiles and Fashion Design,
- AMD 496 Fashion Forecasting and Product Development,
- AMD 510 Foundation of Scholarship in Textiles and Clothing,
- AMD 565 Sustainability: Theory and Practical Application,
- AMD 699 Research
- AESHM 510 Quantitative Research Methods in Apparel and Hospitality,
- AESHM 670A Practicum: Apparel Merchandising and Design
- Undergraduate Honors Project (AMD 490H),
- Supervised studies in various research topics (e.g., AMD 490, AMD 590),
- GERON 466 Gerontology Prepracticum Seminar
- GERON 467 Gerontology Practicum