These scholarships are for CHS undergraduate students who enroll in internships or student teaching appointments where salary or wages are not paid. Scholarships will range from $1000 to $2000 to aid with living expenses. The larger awards will be considered for students serving in an unpaid internship within the state of Iowa that will benefit economic or community development, state or government agencies, schools, or social-service agencies.
- Be an undergraduate enrolled in a College of Human Sciences major and maintain enrollment during the scholarship period.
- Have a scheduled, registered, unpaid internship or student teaching assignment that is:
- required for the student's degree program
- credit-bearing during the semester applied
- not awarded with any other form(s) of compensation (including stipends, travel reimbursements, etc)
- Be working more than 180 hours across a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Have earned at least 60 credits with a minimum of 30 credits earned at ISU.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.
- Maintain enrollment in internship and finish during the eligible semester. Students who drop, withdraw, or do not pass the internship are required to repay funds to Iowa State.
A student may receive this award only once.
Written documentation may be requested from the internship/student teaching provider or ISU academic adviser regarding the estimated number of hours and duration of the experience as well as verification that the experience is unpaid.
What if I change my internship?
The scholarship is only valid for the scholarship listed on your application. Students can edit their application and internship information up until the deadline.
If I receive a scholarship, how are the funds given to me?
Scholarships are credited to students Ubill.
What if my internship company is giving me a travel reimbursement?
Applicants must have a completely unpaid internship experience to qualify. Students with any kind of stipend or reimbursement are not eligible for this scholarship.
When will funds appear on my Ubill?
Funds will be sent to the Financial Aid office no later than the date indicated below. Processing may take a few days.
Expected dates are posted. Dates may change prior to the scholarship opening.
Spring semester: 2017
|October 20||Applications open for spring interns and student teachers.|
|December 9||Deadline for submitting applications and references|
|December 19||All applicants notified of status|
|December 27||Deadline for applicant to accept|
|December 30||Funds will be sent to Financial Aid|
Summer semester: 2017
|March 23||Applications open for summer interns|
|April 17||Deadline for submitting summer applications and references|
|April 27||All applicants notified of status|
|May 4||Deadline for applicant to accept|
|May 8||Funds will be sent to Financial Aid|
Fall semester: 2017
|March 23||Applications open for fall interns and student teachers|
|July 28||Deadline for submitting applications and references|
|August 7||Awardees will be notified of status|
|August 14||Deadline for applicant to accept|
|August 17||Funds will be sent to Financial Aid|