Transfer Plans and Information

If you have enrolled in any college-level coursework since graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student. We have transfer agreements with many community colleges. If you are planning on transferring into Iowa State, take a look at the transfer plans for the major you are considering. If you have questions about transferring into a major, contact the transfer adviser listed.

Major Plans Contact
Apparel, Merchandising, and Design Transfer Plans Chris Wise
30A MacKay Hall
Child, Adult, and Family Services Transfer Plans
Pat Walsh
4380 Palmer, Ste 2321
Culinary Food Science Transfer Plans Amber Kargol
220 MacKay Hall
Diet and Exercise Transfer Plans Amber Kargol
220 MacKay Hall
Dietetics Transfer Plans Amber Kargol
220 MacKay Hall
Early Childhood Education Transfer Plans Lisa Sharp
2362 Palmer
Elementary Education Transfer Plans Lisa Brinkley
133 Mackay Hall
Event Management Transfer Plans Liz Harris
30E MacKay Hall
Family and Consumer Sciences Education and Studies Transfer Plans Michale Hansen
4380 Palmer
515-294 7169
Financial Counseling and Planning Transfer Plans Jeanna Nation
1337 Palmer
Food Science Transfer Plans Amber Kargol
220 MacKay Hall
Kinesiology and Health Transfer Plans Jenny Gibbs
203 Forker Building.
Hospitality Management Transfer Plans Dawn Fiihr
30B MacKay Hall
Nutritional Science Transfer Plans Amber Kargol
220 MacKay Hall

Other resources for transfer students

ISU Admissions transfer student website – Hundreds of transfer agreements with colleges around the country help create a seamless transition to Iowa State.

TRANSIT allows you to enter coursework you have taken at a community college or university and generate an evaluation to see how it will be accepted at Iowa State University. With TRANSIT you can enter your coursework and get:

  • An evaluation of how your courses transfer to Iowa State University.
  • A preliminary degree audit showing you how the courses you have taken so far will apply to a specific degree program at Iowa State University.

ISU Admissions Partnership Program (APP) lets you enjoy the benefits of being an Iowa State student while enrolled at your community college. It’s a great way to ensure a smooth and successful transition to your adventure at Iowa State.

Learning communities are small groups of students who generally take two or three courses together and may also live near each other in the same residence hall. Joining a learning community will create a support group who can smooth your transition in many aspects of being a student at ISU. More than half of entering first-year students choose to join a learning community.  U.S. News & World Report recognizes Iowa State’s learning communities as one of the top 25 programs in the nation.

Articulation/Transfer Agreements

  • Associate in Arts (A.A.) Articulation Agreement with Iowa public community colleges
    Students who plan to enter the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Iowa State University with an associate in arts degree from an Iowa public community college and who have at least 60 transferable semester credits and at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average, will be considered to have met the general education requirements of the college. It does not include the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences world language requirement.
  • Iowa Regent Universities General Education Articulation Agreement
    Iowa State University participates in an articulation agreement with the other two Iowa Regent universities concerning the acceptance of their general education programs into the Iowa State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Under the terms of this agreement, students who have satisfied general education requirements at the University of Northern Iowa or in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Iowa may transfer to Iowa State’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with their general education requirements met. It does not include the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences world language requirement.
  • Contact Information

    If you are unable to reach your transfer adviser, feel free to call (515) 294-7838. The student recruitment office will be happy to answer your transfer questions over the phone or via email.

  • Important Dates

    Apply for admission

    Your adventure starts here - but not until you apply for admission!

  • Graduates Find Jobs

    The College of Human Sciences offers 21 undergraduate and graduate majors. According to those responding to the career services survey, over 90% of our graduates are professionally occupied within six months of graduation.