The College of Human Sciences enforces the Iowa State University academic probation policy, which includes the policies regarding extenuating circumstances, withdrawing from the university, adding and dropping classes, and academic probation and dismissal.
ISU reinstatement procedure
If you are on probation, visit the Academic Success Center site which explains the next steps to take.
CHS reinstatement preparation
Refer to these reinstatement guidelines (PDF) for recommendations on the steps to take to show that you have made progress since being dropped.
CHS reinstatement procedure
If you were academically dismissed from Iowa State University, there are procedures that you must follow to resume your studies at Iowa State. The College of Human Sciences requires that you do the following:
- Complete a Petition Packet (doc). This must be completed by deadline indicated.
- Meet with an academic adviser in your intended major. Discuss and develop the long range plan sheet located in the petition packet. The plan must be signed by your adviser.
- Submit an official transcript (if you attended a college or university since your dismissal) of all courses and grades completed since you were dismissed to the Iowa State University Admissions Office.
- Ask your instructors to email your current academic standing for classes in which you are currently enrolled to Dayle Nickerson at email@example.com.
- Include in the packet a letter of reference from your current employer.
- Submit a re-entry application to the Registrar’s Office if it has been more than two semesters (not including summer) since you last attended Iowa State University.
If you do not follow all of these steps, the Academic Standards Committee will consider your application incomplete and will not consider your petition for reinstatement.